Re: Single architecture on -announce lists

Ben Collins wrote:
> >      As I recall, the consensus was that, after slink was released,
> > these lists would be split by architecture, and anyone interested in
> > more than one architecture could subscribe to as many lists as
> > required.  I am sure that the overwhelming majority would subscribe to
> > only one list.
>
> [bcollins@murphy(11:01am)-/var/list]%ls -d debian-*-changes
> debian-all-changes/          debian-devel-changes/            debian-hurd-i386-changes/
> debian-alpha-changes/        debian-devel-hurd-i386-changes/  debian-i386-changes/
> debian-arm-changes/          debian-devel-i386-changes/       debian-m68k-changes/
> debian-devel-all-changes/    debian-devel-m68k-changes/       debian-powerpc-changes/
> debian-devel-alpha-changes/  debian-devel-powerpc-changes/    debian-sparc-changes/
> debian-devel-arm-changes/    debian-devel-sparc-changes/

Hm, it's a shame that doesn't include a debian-devel-source-changes, the
only -changes list I'm interested in. :-(

> The lists already exist, they are just not used at all. Maybe it would be
> easier to keep just the one debian-devel-changes list to send to and write
> some extra procmail stuff into sending it to the write outlist.

Well, we could just sign everyone who is currently subscribed to
debian-devel-changes up to debian-devel-*-changes, and obsolete
debian-devel-changes. Then post an announcement that people can easily
selectively filter mail by unsubscribing from architectures they're not
interested in.

Although I guess that might mess with some people's mail filters, to change
list names behind their backs..

Oh, you mean those lists are dead, not that no-one is subscribed. Should be
easy enough to fix though, now that 99.9% of all announcements go via
dinstall. IIRC last time this came up we mostly put a fix on hold until
dinstall could be modified to send announcements.

--
see shy jo