Re: of bash and ...sbin/

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 11:52:37AM -0500, Jacob Kuntz wrote:
> > As policy states, things that pertain to system administration (and
> > traceroute is for troubleshooting networks) is to be in /sbin or
> > /usr/sbin. The difference between /sbin and /usr/sbin is that things that
> > could be needed to rescue a broken system should be in /sbin (things like
> > fsck).
>
> at the risk of reigniting a flame war, how is traceroute in a different
> catagory that ping?

I don't think it is, but historically it has been in /usr/sbin and Herbert
Xu won't move it to a /bin-type directory because it might break existing
setups.

Personally, I'm not certain it's a valid reason, since we move much larger
chunks of stuff to comply with the filesystem standards, and I don't see
anyone complaining about that... on the contrary, in fact, people file bugs
if stuff isn't in a FSSTND/FHS compliant location.

Then again, a little conservativisim over moving stuff won't hurt us :)

--
enJoy -*/\*- don't even try to pronounce my first name