Re: of bash and ...sbin/

Dylan Paul Thurston <dpt@math.berkeley.edu> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 11:52:37AM -0500, Jacob Kuntz wrote:

> > at the risk of reigniting a flame war, how is traceroute in a different
> > catagory that ping?

traceroute is "deeper" than ping. It exposes things that the casual
user neither sees nor cares about. Ping only measures what everybody
experiences anyway: how responsive is a particular host?

One has to draw a boundary, and on GNU systems it runs between ping
and traceroute. Others do it differnently, AFAIR AIX has both in
sbin.

> Or mtr, for that matter?

That should go into sbin. I filed a wishlist item.

--
Robbe