Re: of bash and ...sbin/

Robert Bihlmeyer (robbe@orcus.priv.at) wrote:
> Dylan Paul Thurston <dpt@math.berkeley.edu> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 11:52:37AM -0500, Jacob Kuntz wrote:
>
> > > at the risk of reigniting a flame war, how is traceroute in a different
> > > catagory that ping?
>
> traceroute is "deeper" than ping. It exposes things that the casual
> user neither sees nor cares about. Ping only measures what everybody
> experiences anyway: how responsive is a particular host?

and that changes something? one cannot assume that because someone is not
logged in as root, they are a casual user. that mindset breaks with much of
the way debian works. the install highly encourages you to create a normal
user account. saying that traceroute is deeper than ping is like saying that
ps is deeper than ls. and since when do we try to hide problems, in the
network or otherwise?

> One has to draw a boundary, and on GNU systems it runs between ping
> and traceroute. Others do it differnently, AFAIR AIX has both in
> sbin.
>
> > Or mtr, for that matter?
>
> That should go into sbin. I filed a wishlist item.

that will only encourage people to run things as root. this is *not* a good
idea.