Re: blue on black is unreadable

On 24-Mar-00, 10:19 (CST), Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org> wrote:
> > > (I wonder if the preference for light-on-dark vs dark-on-light depends
> > > on ambient light conditions?)
> >
> >  I usually like to work in a relatively dark room.  I think I'm nocturnal or
> > something (looks at clock... :(
>
> And I tend to work in well lit rooms, even at night -- so from our
> amazing sample of two, there is a correlation!

And the link (http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/people/ematias/faq/S/S-9.html)
that someone else provided said this:

    In an experiment with light- or dark-adapted subjects identifying
    target letters within a letter string from positive or negative
    displays, I also found interactions between adaptation level and
    display polarity (Fischer, 1992). Thus, the display of choice
    probably depends on your workplace illumination.

(presumably with a sample count of more than 2)

It also said this:

    "Saturated blue should not be used for the presentation of fine
    detail, because the central part of the fovea is relatively
    insensitive to that color. For similar reasons, blue is an excellent
    background color."

(Of course, that promotes light-on-dark....)

sg

--
Steve Greenland <vmole@swbell.net>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read