Re: RBL report..

On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 11:09:42PM -0500, Daniel Martin wrote:
> ORBS BLOCKS MORE THAN OPEN RELAYS.
> Sorry to shout, but I've been bitten by ORBS before.
> It blocks open relays *or machines which relay for open relays*.

Yeah...  "Blacklist this person we've blacklisted or we'll blacklist you."
Wonderful tactic.  And apparently it's quite effective at getting people
to pay attention to their cause of stopping open relays.

Crusaders in this war on spam know exactly what they're doing.  They must
purge the holy land of its heretics at all costs.  If a few villages
happen to get pillaged and burned...  Well, these things happen and the
villagers should get better villages.

The people who run ORBS are terrorists.  And perhaps even worse are the
people who actually use ORBS.  DUL is immoral sure, but it pales next to
the terrorism routinely practiced by ORBS.

> This means that since my campus's smarthost trusts any machine inside
> jhu.edu to send mail out (and why shouldn't it?), an open realy
> anywhere on campus can cause all mail going through the smarthost to
> be blocked.

Don't you know that it is your job to make sure that your campus is locked
down?  If you can't get some student's relay closed you have an obligation
to see that some form of disciplinary action is taken against them or that
they are blacklisted by your servers.

Those spammers must all die and so must anybody who helps them whether
they know they're helping or not!  If you can't do it you are scum and
everyone at your campus is scum and you don't DESERVE the right to send
email to anyone who doesn't like spam!

> To repeat: ORBS does not block only mail that came through open
> relays, it blocks mail that came through servers that have in the past
> served open relays.  It allows a single open relay on a mail network
> to cause the entire mail network to be blocked.  It is to my mind an
> inordinately severe response to the problem.

And if an open relay happens to send mail through one smarthost which
sends through another which sends through another.....

It's all for a good cause.  The holy land must be purged.  Remember that.

"slackware users don't matter. in my experience, slackware users are
either clueless newbies who will have trouble even with tar, or they are
rabid do-it-yourselfers who wouldn't install someone else's pre-compiled
binary even if they were paid to do it."