Re: Pgcc in Deb

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 09:11:21PM +0300, Eray Ozkural wrote:
> > > I disagree. From experience, I know that up to %50 speedup can be gained
> > > in number crunching stuff. I'd suspect %20 could be pretty normal for
> > > most CPU hungry apps, and the overall speedup would be significant.
> >
> > Compared to gcc 2.95 with -march=i686 (or i586, as the case may be)? That
> > sounds a lot higher from what I've heard, even from those who would boost
> > it (the Intel engineers, for instance.)
>
> Okay, I'm mistaken. I'm talking about the whole speedup from -march=i386,
> which is I believe to be the default when I issue debian/rules binary (?).
> Excuse my ignorance in that. However, there is something that I do not fully
> understand. There doesn't seem to be march=i586 optimizations in all of
> the debian packages, right? Or is the i386 distribution already pentium
> optimized like hell?

No arch/cpu-related optimizations are being set by default in most of the
packages. Perhaps there are a few exceptions, where the upstream settings
use optimization, or where the Debian maintainer has changed it, I don't
know.

I think we already had this discussion (which usually evolved in a flamewar
:), several times, and nothing was done to change the current status. Please
let's not rehash the whole issue once again.