Re: Reducing downtime on system critical services

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 02:19:43PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> Actually the best way to do this is for the packages to not stop the
> daemon in the preinst, and restart it in the postinst. This causes
> the problem. If you look at apache and openldapd (the two that I know that
> work right), you will notice that in the postinst (after upgrade) the
> daemons are restarted. That is the Right Way, IMO, and should be proposed
> on -policy.

Recently I saw a bug report about dpkg not being able to replace a file
because program was being executed at the time of installation ("cannot
overwrite text file" was the message, IIRC)... is this still an issue?

If not, perhaps the section 7.2 "Debian claims to be able to update a
running program; how is this accomplished?" in the Debian FAQ[1] needs to
be adjusted.

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkgtools.html#s-updaterunning
or at any other closer mirror. :)