Re: [PROPOSAL] update-binfmts - manages the binfmt_misc kernel module

you make a valid point, but i don't think that outweighs the benefit of
allowing packages to depend on a certian kernel feature.

nobody expects, say, fbset to work on a kernel compiled without framebuffer
support. with a few exceptions, most people only have on kernel compiled on
their system. i keep a backup bzImage in lilo.conf, but i really only use
one image.

perhaps the componet of the packaging system that checks for capbilites
could check lilo.conf (or milo, or grub) for the default kernel and check
that. i'm not clear on recent developments. i expect that we will end up
looking in /proc, or devfs when that comes about.

this is certianly a tricky subject, but one worthy of discussion.

--
(jacob kuntz)                    jpk@cape.com jake@{megabite,underworld}.net
(megabite systems)                       "think free speech, not free beer."