Re: How do I solve messed up package version numbers?

Anthony Towns wrote:

  >--YiEDa0DAkWCtVeE4
  >
  >On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 10:00:23AM +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:
  >> I made a silly mistake in the version numbers of postgresql.  The package=
  > in
  >> woody is 7.0-0.beta3-1 instead of 7.0-0.beta3.1. =20
  >
  >Huh? Why do you want beta3 in the debian revision? Isn't the beta3 part
  >to do with the upstream version?

Upstream call it 7.0beta5, but the full release will be 7.0, which will
sort lower.

  >Are these betas of 7.0? ie, is 7.0 meant to be better than 7.0beta3? You
  >can use versions like `7.0-release-1' to get around this when the
  >release happens.

My particular problem is that dpkg doesn't see things as I think it ought:

olly@linda$ dpkg --compare-versions 7.0-2 gt 7.0-0.beta3-1 || echo bad
bad

but your message gave me a clue:

olly@linda$ dpkg --compare-versions 7.0-beta5-2 gt 7.0-0.beta3-1  || echo bad

olly@linda$ dpkg --compare-versions 7.0-final-1 gt 7.0-beta5-2 || echo bad

so I have a solution.

Thanks

     "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and
      sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to
      dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; and is a
      discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."
                              Hebrews 4:12