Re: Looking for help using libtool

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 11:33:32AM -0700, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:
> How would I find out the correct .so "major" and "minor" numbers (if that
> *is* the right terminology) if I were to create dynamic libraries as you'd
> mentioned?

Choose them.  Make sure that the major number reflects the ABI version.
Increase the minor version every time the code changes, and increase
the major number when the interface (public definitions) change.

A simple and probably not fully correct way of checking for ABI changes
is to compare the public .h files; if they have changed, th ABI has
probably changed, and vice versa.

Of course, if upstream provides you with shared object versions, use them.

>  Also, how do I create the libquicktime.la?

Use libtool.  Note that .la is not required.

                    I'm moving IRL on May 2, 2000.
               New contact information on the home page