Re: OT to Debian [Was: RFC/ITP: Constitution of Finland]

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 02:04:32PM -0400, Bob Hilliard wrote:
> Fabrizio Polacco <fpolacco@debian.org> writes:
> > The need of putting the "data" at the distribution level, comes from the
> > different "scope" of the "data".
> > What would be the purpose of "freezing" the bible?
>
>      It is possible that, at some time, the one or both of the binary
> programs in the bible-kjv package would be rewritten to use a
> different format.  This would require that the bible-kjv-text package
> be updated to the new format.  In such cases data files that are
> formatted for a specialized access program have some of the
> characteristics of binaries.

No, they simply need to depend on the package which installs the reader
program, be it kjv-reader or emacs ...

If such a reader is really so useful, then I would like to see other
"verse data" packages appearing in that format ... I would personally
like something like "runoja manalasta" ... (=verses from the hell, for
those who have skipped lessons of sauna).

> > What would be the utility of not permitting new entry in the package
> > "weekly-news" for the 3 or 4 months of the freeze?
>
>      Is there a package "weekly-news"?  I can't locate it.  If there
> were such a package, it would be pointless to freeze it.

Well I hope that the debian's weekly news be packaged and included in
the distro. In that case it would be frozen and release several monthes
old.
Mine was just an example of unusefullness of "freezeing" data packages.

I oce was packaging PJ, an italian Journal about Linux, and was hurt by
the fact that the latest issue in a release was always three or four
months old.
Now, consider that the purpose of that packaging was helping people
without Net connection (a not so uncommon thing untill a few years ago,
when the fastest modem was 28.8 and phone bill was > 2cent (US$) per
minute on night time).

And also, creating a new distribution is relatively simpler than
creating a new section or a new division at the "main/contrib" level.

fab