Re: Proposal new source archive format

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 11:47:48PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:

> Uhh, the source package should be helpful in managing patches (I never
> said code). If any new source package format fails that task, then it
> isn't any good.

Sorry, but I don't see the difference between managing patches and managing
code.  As far as I am concerned, the source package format exists so that
people can build that package, verify its upstream sources, and view the
difference between the upstream source and the Debian source pacakge.

Now I can see that our current source package is inadequate in the
verification part when the upstream sources is not in the canonical form of
one tar file.  So that needs to be improved and I think Wichert's proposal
basically fulfills this.

But I can't see what managing Debian modifications/patches has got to do with
our source package format.  That should be left to whatever source management
systems that our maintainers use.