Re: potato late, goals for woody (IMHO)

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 12:46:16AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Why would we want to release woody less than a year after potato's
> *frozen* let alone released?
>
> We've already tried this with slink, less time spent between freezes
> doesn't lead to less time within a freeze. All it does is cut out x
> months of development time.

It cuts out x months of _Debian_ development time.  Thing is, users
rightfully care much more about the advances made in the hundreds of
external software projects packaged by Debian, than by the advances
made within Debian.  Remember, Debian's primary function is as an
integrator; saying, "We need more time developing the Debian
infrastructure, so let's hold back hundreds of improved packages"
seems to be giving oneself airs.

I don't mean to belittle the value or excellence of the Debian
infrastructure.  But perhaps internal Debian projects should be
thought of as (relatively) orthogonal to the releases.  Develop them
in a way that is not coupled to the release cycle.  After they are
ready, plan the distribution-wide integration, and start such
integration right after a release.

Thus, I don't believe that the needs of Debian-internal development
preclude short release cycles.

Andrew