Re: Packages removed from frozen

Am  2.05.00 um 12:26:51 schrieb Richard Braakman:
> Package: dlocate (debian/main).
> Maintainer: Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au>
>   61789 dlocate: significant breakage, does not function as per man page at all
> [FIX] Patch included (MS, Apr9)
>   61790 dlocate: cron job apparently doesn't run?
>   62023 dlocate: Error: can't open file at /usr/sbin/update-dlocatedb line 19,
> upon install

I know it's a philosophical and also emotional issue, but I can't understand
why we pull a nice package from the distibution because it doesn't work for
some people. I use dlocate very often, and it works perfectly for me, always
has been, and I wouldn't want to trade it for dpkg -l which is far too slow.

So it doesn't work for some people (for instance those using slocate instead
of locate), but it works for most, I presume, so why not leave it in there?
At work I have a machine where dpkg consumes hours. I think it's not usable
for me there, so I'll file an important bug, let's remove dpkg.

Bye,
    Mike

--
|=| Michael Piefel                       piefel@informatik.hu-berlin.de