Re: Packages removed from frozen

Michael Piefel <piefel@informatik.hu-berlin.de> writes:

> Am  2.05.00 um 12:26:51 schrieb Richard Braakman:
> > Package: dlocate (debian/main).
> > Maintainer: Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au>
> >   61789 dlocate: significant breakage, does not function as per man page at all
> > [FIX] Patch included (MS, Apr9)
> >   61790 dlocate: cron job apparently doesn't run?
> >   62023 dlocate: Error: can't open file at /usr/sbin/update-dlocatedb line 19,
> > upon install

I have mailed the reporters for more info, and CC:ed the BTS.

> I know it's a philosophical and also emotional issue, but I can't understand
> why we pull a nice package from the distibution because it doesn't work for
> some people.

Apparently, the maintainer is MIA, and noone else bothered to NMU
and/or downgrade the bugs. I put the fix for 61789 into the BTS, but
since IANAD, I can't do much more (bug a developer to NMU, perhaps).

> I use dlocate very often, and it works perfectly for me, always has
> been, and I wouldn't want to trade it for dpkg -l which is far too
> slow.

Same here.

> So it doesn't work for some people (for instance those using slocate instead
> of locate), but it works for most, I presume, so why not leave it in
> there?

It's the maintainer's decision. When he's away, things take their course.

> At work I have a machine where dpkg consumes hours. I think it's not usable
> for me there, so I'll file an important bug, let's remove dpkg.

Ah yeah, Battle Bugs!

--
Robbe