Re: This is what you should be criticizing (Re: Stallman Admits to Copyright Infringement)

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 08:51:53PM +0300, Eray Ozkural wrote:
> RMS, in this dialogue, regards copying of digital music files equivalent
> to sharing your records with your neighbors. This is what you should
> argue about:
>   i) Is sharing digital files equivalent to borrowing records from your
>      neighbor in some sense?
>   ii) Is sharing music with your neighbor right?
>
> I'd argue for sharing music on any medium. Without any kind of royalty
> being paid to the author.

	Stallman was inquired on this subject here in Brazil. He said that
The concepts of the GNU Licence do not apply to digital media, because
there is not an equivalent of the "source code" and there is no overall
benefit to the community if someone is able to redistribute modified
versions, in almost all cases to make a different version of a music you
have to play it all again (He did mention sampling and music based on
sampling, but I think it is not the case).

	One uses software, but noone uses music, music is to be enjoyed,
and has to be thought in a different maner.

	He added that it is a little known fact to people out of the
music industry that many bands do not even get paid by their music, that
the record companies kind of charge for the publicity and costs of
distributing the music, so the bands get their money from this publicity,
by making appearances, live shows and stuff like t-shirts and CDs sold
on the shows.

	I completely agree with him, it is a different matter, we are
so involved with software freedom that we tend to apply the same rules
to other matters such as music.

	The concept of the software industry *is* wrong IMHO, and
it has to change. Maybe the eletronic means to distribute music can
provide a way for new bands become known and get to get gigs everywhere,
still geting their money, although distributing their music freely, but
this has to be done by bands not yet engaged to the software industry.

	Meanwhile we should provide the means to this, support those who
already provide these means and mainly those artists who try to make their
lives by distributing music the new way.

--macan

P.S. By the way, if one wants to download a music I have helped to
make, helped to play and helped to pay for the studio, everyone is invited,
it is in http://thecore.com.br/mp3 I am the lead guitar, this is a demo
song we submitted to a local music festival. I hope you like the tune :)