Re: preserving window manager selection on upgrades.

> On Sun, May 21, 2000 at 09:54:09PM -0500, Jesse Jacobsen wrote:
> > Sorry to nose into a thread here... but the change to wm alternatives
> > was a slight nuisance for me.  AFAICT, under the alternatives system,
> > there's no way to have a per-user setting for x-window-manager, is
> > there?
>
> echo 'PATH=$PATH:~/bin" > .bashrc
> mkdir ~/bin
> ln -s /usr/bin/X11/your-favorite-wm ~/bin/x-window-manager
>
> --
> G. Branden Robinson            |      I've made up my mind.  Don't try to
> Debian GNU/Linux               |      confuse me with the facts.
> branden@ecn.purdue.edu         |      -- Indiana Senator Earl Landgrebe
> roger.ecn.purdue.edu/~branden/ |

This surely works but it isn't the easier and the most general way to do it.
There is a better method of allowing users to choose their favorite wm and
even be able to use a different one for each X session startup.

The idea is to install a "sensible-window-manager" script which can be
controlled by an environment variable, like the sensible-editor script.
The script should try in this order the following alternatives:

    1.  the WINDOW_MANAGER environment variable if defined by the user

    2.  the x-window-manager command, setup with update-alternatives

    3.  the default X window manager (twm) if none of the above is executable

The same algorithm should be used also by Xsession, in case the user doesn't
have a .xsession script.

In this way each user can simply put the following line in his .xsession:

    exec sensible-window-manager

and define his favorite wm in his .profile with:

    export WINDOW_MANAGER="my-favorite-wm"

or just use the default wm configured by the system administrator.
One can also use a different wm for one session by starting X with:

   WINDOW_MANAGER="another-wm" startx

If someone is interested I have a debian package which implements this.
I've been using it for an year at it works fine for me.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: finger dz@tango.cs.unitn.it  |