Re: Vector processor on the G4 chip

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 11:17:02PM +0300, Eray Ozkural wrote:
> Arthur Edwards wrote:
> >
> > Can gcc and, by extension, g77 access the vector processor on the G4 chip? If
> > not, is there a commercial, Debian-compatible, Fortran compiler that does?
> >
> > (I put this on the power-pc list and have not gotten a response.)
> >

> The stock gcc, AFAIK, doesn't throw in any high-perf. Altivec optimizations.
> There was the news of a compiler (a gcc extension?) that did it on slashdot.
> So you may want to search for that (along with some rumors on a PPC Linux distro
> based on it IIRC)

As I remember, motorola has released, or is going to release, altivec
opts for gcc, but I didn't hear anything about g77 using them --- or
whether or not they are generally usable without reprogramming.

Jules

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable