Re: Bertrand Meyer challenges some open-source assumptions.

On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 07:08:19PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > On http://www.sdmagazine.com/features/2000/03/f4.shtml there is a very
> > interesting article called "The Ethics of Free Software" by Bertrand Meyer a
> > famous guru in objectorientation.
>
> I get a 404 page not found on that..

Works for me, though you'll have to wade through two sections of drivel
before you even get close to talking about Free Software (after the
obligatory Nazi reference...)

All I can say is that it's not worth it.  His article is hypocritical and
stereotypical.  A couple choice quotes:

	"Many of the contributions of the free software community are
	admirable. Highly disturbing, however, is its widespread slander
	and hatred of the commercial software world."

A world which he clearly represents, so no wonder he wants to fight back.
What he doesn't seem to get is that branding everyone as hating him and
what he represents is almost self-fulfilling prophecy, at least as it
applies to him.  ;>

Eric Raymond comes under fire for being a known gun owner and activist.
Shortly after he calls the NRA a bunch of "gun lunatics" he says:

	"It is high time for Richard Stallman and Linus Torvalds to state
	publicly that they do not endorse the views of the gun lunatics,
	and that their cherished notion of freedom has nothing to do with
	the freedom to kill children and other innocents. That this has
	not happened is a sign of the distortion of the moral values of
	the free software movement."

Whatever.

World Domination, of course.  And scantily clad females.  Who cares if
its twenty below?        -- Linus Torvalds