Re: Bertrand Meyer challenges some open-source assumptions.

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 01:04:36PM +0200, Richard B. Kreckel wrote:
> > Does that make everyone who's ever fired a handgun or owns a handgun or
> > practiced firing one at a range a "lunatic"?
>
> No.  The point is that the guy who wrote this a lunatic:
>
> : There is nothing like having your finger on the trigger of a gun to
> : reveal who you really are. Life or death in one twitch --- ultimate
> : decision, with the ultimate price for carelessness or bad choices. It
> : is a kind of acid test, an initiation, to know that there is lethal
> : force in your hand and all the complexities and ambiguities of moral
> : choice have fined down to a single action: fire or not?
>
> And, to continue the point, above bullshit can be found on a site
> advocating free software, <http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/guns/gun-ethics.html>.
> This is a problem.

It's not my problem.  He is not me and he does not represent me in these
or other interests.  Claiming that everyone who supports free software
feels this way is an obscene misrepresentation of not only myself, but
anyone else excluding specifically him.

As I said, I see no reason to distance him from free software.  It's
really the case that free software people have already made it clear that
Eric's purpose here isn't the same as ours.

<cas> well there ya go.  say something stupid in irc and have it
      immortalised forever in someone's .sig file