Re: Upgrade docs and Release Notes (was Re: Starting second test cycle)

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 08:30:48PM +0200, J.A. Bezemer wrote:

> > > To my knowledge, the staticly-compiled versions of apt and dpkg have been
> > > made by Anne so that we don't have to have autoup.sh and all that stuff to

(Actually, they were "made by" registered Debian developers (!= me), following
my ~trivial instructions. Looked over this in my first reply ;-)

> > > upgrade from Debian 1.x to 2.x. However, the sparc port did not exist in the
> > > times of Debian 1.x, so there is nothing to upgrade from, really.
> >
> > This is one of the "inconsistencies" I was talking about (on -doc). If you're
> > using CDs, you need the latest apt (0.3.19) to reliably upgrade from ANY
> > Debian release for ANY architecture (i386,alpha,m68k,sparc). Read apt's
> > changelog for more info.
>
> And I told you that a statically compiled dpkg and apt will not work 100%
> on a slink sparc system because of the problems with libc6 in sparc potato
> and 2.0.x kernels. Believe me, you are trying to preach to the preacher.
> Leave arch specific things to the arch maintainers. If I tell you it wont
> work on sparc...it wont work on sparc.

Read again. "you need the latest apt (0.3.19)". Does that say "static"?
Anywhere?

I thought so.

I _know_ a static apt won't work. I _know_ you need a 2.2.x kernel. I still do
_not_ know what exact procedure will get any sparc user from
slink+2.2.x-kernel to potato using a CD set. And AFAICS yesterday's CVS
version of the Release Notes doesn't include such information. Well, then
let's try it the other way around. I'll give it a try to describe things in
my "upcoming" patch. Then you can correct my probably-incorrect version. Maybe
things work better that way.

BTW, it just crossed my mind that a potato/sparc-compiled static apt might
just work perfectly ONCE you have a 2.2.x kernel. Procedures would then become
very easy:
 - compile & install 2.2.x kernel
 - install static apt/dpkg if using CDs
 - <see other arches>
Will this work? Why not? (Apart from the fact that the preinst of dpkg/apt
don't check for a 2.2.x kernel (which, if needed, should be solvable easily))

Also to Josip: I know you can upgrade by mounting each CD consequtively etc.
That's the way 2.0->2.1 was done. You can also upgrade by
dpkg -i /cdrom/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/xxx/yyy.deb for each and every
package, which is just slightly more horrible.

There are many more ways of upgrading. However, the Release Notes should
_only_ describe the _easiest_ way to do the most _reliable_ upgrade. That's
what 99% (if not 100%) of the users are looking for. If you want to describe
all details of all possible upgrading procedures, fine. But then go write a
book: "The 1001 ways of upgrading the Debian Distribution, a Detailed in-Depth
Discussion". ;-)

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer