Re: Upgrade docs and Release Notes (was Re: Starting second test cycle)

> Read again. "you need the latest apt (0.3.19)". Does that say "static"?
> Anywhere?
>
> I thought so.

All this time you have been complaining about every arch needing a static
apt and dpkg...

> I _know_ a static apt won't work. I _know_ you need a 2.2.x kernel. I still do
> _not_ know what exact procedure will get any sparc user from
> slink+2.2.x-kernel to potato using a CD set. And AFAICS yesterday's CVS
> version of the Release Notes doesn't include such information. Well, then
> let's try it the other way around. I'll give it a try to describe things in
> my "upcoming" patch. Then you can correct my probably-incorrect version. Maybe
> things work better that way.
>
> BTW, it just crossed my mind that a potato/sparc-compiled static apt might
> just work perfectly ONCE you have a 2.2.x kernel. Procedures would then become
> very easy:

Yes, but not everyone reads the docs on upgrades.

>  - compile & install 2.2.x kernel

"install the kernel deb from potato"

>  - install static apt/dpkg if using CDs
>  - <see other arches>

"see general upgrade procedure"

> Will this work? Why not? (Apart from the fact that the preinst of dpkg/apt
> don't check for a 2.2.x kernel (which, if needed, should be solvable easily))

That's the kicker, and it is not so easily solvable without copying over
the ugly hacks I have in libc6's preinst. Which I would not even want in
either of these packages.

> Also to Josip: I know you can upgrade by mounting each CD consequtively etc.
> That's the way 2.0->2.1 was done. You can also upgrade by
> dpkg -i /cdrom/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/xxx/yyy.deb for each and every
> package, which is just slightly more horrible.

No, you could simply do apt-cdrom on the first CD *only*, then

"apt-get install apt dpkg"

This would get you that far, and then you would have the new packages,
wihtout a lot of fuss, and run apt-cdrom on the other 2 cdrom's, and run
"apt-get dist-upgrade".

IMO, that is a far better solution. Asking users to manually install
individual packages is not the right solution for an automated setup.