Re: General Resolution: Removing non-free, Draft 2

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 08:36:05PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Source packages are broken (in a sense) at the moment, since there's no
> straightforward algorithmical way of working out that a "Depends: qmail"
> can be satisfied by installing qmail-src and building a real qmail.deb and
> then installing that. This means packages like vchkpw look uninstallable
> unless you make special exceptions for certain non-free software. [0]

Sure there is -- if you don't mind introducing a wrapper package for
vchkpw.

Basically, the wrapper package would set up for a hook to run after
dpkg is done (I seem to recall that we're already doing that in some
other circumstances -- menus or some such).  The wrapper package would
recommend qmail-src, and the postinst would -- if it's obvious that
qmail isn't installed -- locate the qmail .deb and arrange for the qmail
.deb to also be installed by this hook.  And, of course, the hook would
install the vchkpw-real .deb.

Not pretty, but it's fairly straightforward.

--
Raul