Re: Let's not forget why many people use/contribute to Debian

On Sat, Jun 17, 2000 at 10:14:22AM -0600, Dwayne C . Litzenberger wrote:
> I think a lot of people here are losing sight of the fact that many people use
> Debian, not mainly because it's free software, but because things are done The
> Right Way(tm) around here.  In other words, many users, and developers alike,
> although interested in the prospect of a completely free operating system, do
> not want it forced on them when it is not practical.  The more difficult it
> becomes to use Debian in practical situations, the less likely someone is to
> use Debian.

I get tired of hearing this argument. Using this goal, we might aswell
start doing Debian/Windows and make it really easy. The whole idea behind
Linux is to do things right. Switching to Linux is already asking people
to do things the free way, and not the commercial way. Pointing out
special cases within that scope is incorrect justification for what we do.