Re: broken sysvinit?

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Petr Cech wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 10:13:17AM -0300 , Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
> > It works here.  Up-to-date woody, i386 + kernel 2.2.17pre4,
> > /bin/sh -> /bin/bash.
>
> hmm. so it's the sh -> ash. Hmm. So it's bashism or a bug in ash.

As someone said (about the bogus netscape wrapper script) "and there goes
the third test cycle"... :-(  This is a critical bug.

Well, I've just read the stuff in man bash, and yes, that exec is
documented. It activates those redirections in the current shell.

What the hell is that 10 doing there, I have no idea.

According to man ash, the exec trick should work with ash as well. It is
that 10>&0 which is screwing things up for ash, as 10 is an undefined file
descriptor, and ash bangs out with a "file not found" or something to that
effect.

Does removing the 10>&0 magic makes it work under ash? Do remember to
somehow reset stdin where the second "exec" takes place...

(On a related note, does anyone know what are the advantages of such an exec
over ( ... ) </etc/fstab ?)

  Henrique Holschuh