Re: Release-critical Bugreport for June 23, 2000

On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 01:21:00PM +0200, Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@student.uni-tuebingen.de> was heard to say:
> Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 05:15:04AM -0500, BugScan reporter <bugscan@debian.org> was heard to say:
> > > Package: aptitude (debian/main)
> > > Maintainer: Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org>
> > >   65800  Pressing 'enter' eats all memory on Alpha
> >
> >   eww.  I'll take a look at this this evening.  It may be Alpha-related,
> > in which case I'm (a) clueless about what the problem is and (b) unable to
> > reproduce, find, or fix it.  If it's as simple to produce as the reporter
> > says ("press Enter on any package"), I should have seen it long ago..
>
> I think I found it. In pkg_description_treeitem.cc, you store
> positions in a string as int, and then compare them against
> string::npos, which will not work, since ints are 32 bit on Alpha and
> string::size_type is 64 bit and string::npos is not representable in
> 32 bits.

  Thanks for finding that!

> Please use string::size_type to refer to a position in a string.

  I'll be sure to do that in the future, and I'll try to run over the code and
sort out the other instances of this that I'm sure snuck in.  Probably they
should all be fixed if this is to be uploaded for potato, and it should be
fairly easy to fix, I hope..

> With this fix, I can enter a package, but I didn't find out how to go
> back to the previous screen. That seems to be a user problem, though
> :)

  The UI code is currently in the throes of being almost completely rewritten
for the next release.  (branch "ui-rewrite" in CVS, which doesn't compile
yet..)  I'll try to deal with this problem at the same time, but for now you
can just press "q" :-)

  Daniel

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\
|     f u cn rd ths,     |     He was the kind of man who can use             |