Re: IPv6 adoption

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 11:44:53PM -0600, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> >Why are the IPv6 adoption predictions so grim?  I've heard 10-20 years for
>
> They decided that the actual utilization of IPv4 address-space wasn't
> nearly as bad as they had been saying, if they could make a little better
> use of it.  Plus, it's a chicken-and-egg thing -- nobody uses it because
> nobody uses it.

There's not really much and end user person can do..  I'm a leaf in the
tree of trees, running IPv6 isn't going to do anything if my ISP and their
bandwidth providers don't follow suit.

> >What can we do to get the IPv6 ball rolling?
>
> Convert everyone you know to using the 6Bone...
>
> Remember, IPV6 addresses are 128 bits because a number of members of
> the IPv6 working group didn't understand that 64 bits was significantly
> more than twice the number of addresses than 32 bits.

I'd like to assume they didn't think they were going to multiply the
address space by 4 and really did intend to raise the address space by
several orders of magnitude.

"Now we'll have to kill you."
        -- Linus Torvalds