Asking the upstream author [ was Re: ITP: codecommander ]

This is just a reminding for wannabe ITP... please! always ask the upstream
author first! I often authors already in Debian, or willing to became a
maintainer themself or not willing to see their packages put in wide distribution
currently. Also, it's more polite and will help to ameliorate the image of
cooperation from Debian.

The other problem is that the upstream author maybe give the permissions to someone
else. Worst, it can happen that someone ask the upstream author, make some arrangements
with him (like waiting for the next release or patch/bug forwarding, etc.), establish
a kind of relationship, then make the ITP (not long after the initial request to the
upstream authors) to discover that the package is already ITPed by someone else who
doesn't contact the upstream authors... I let you give your own conclusion about the
opinion the upstream authors can have about Debian, as well as all the repeat work
they need to done to ensure that the new maintainer will do it right.

So, maybe we should add this to the 6.1 section of the developer-references?
Aren't there any Debian-Maintainer-Etiquette-HOWTO around?