Re: Intent To Split: netbase

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 11:26:16AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 10:25:49AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> >         portmap,
> >         netkit-rpc
>
> Could these not be depends, so it's possible to have an rpc-free system?

I had the impression from the original mail that the intention is to
have them as depends: for the first release (woody), and then weaken
them later (to allow mix-and-match package choosing like you suggest).

This is really a weakness in our dependency system --- to be
absolutely sure not to break systems, we'd need to keep the dependency
on to the next major release (and that's assuming upgraders never skip
releases). It would be a good application for the sometimes suggested
'Split-From:' or 'Previously-Was:' field, so we'd have portmap
'Split-From: netbase ( <= 3.18-4 )'.

Jules