Re: Debian Weekly News - June 27th, 2000

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 12:12:42AM -0400, Adam McKenna wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 10:29:56PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 09:37:13AM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> > > There will be no non-free removal from Debian archives.
> >
> > Sorry, Napoleon, but it's not up to you.  In this project we put such
> > matters to a vote.
>
> I think it was obvious that he was making a prediction, not giving an order.

"There will be no supper for you tonight."  Is that a prediction, or an
implication that the speaker has sufficient power to volitionally achieve
the result stated?

Unless M. Marant possesses precognition, I don't think it is "obvious" that
he is making a prediction.  Mere mortals who have uncertain knowledge of
the future would probably phrase such a sentiment similar to the following:
"I don't think we're going to end up removing non-free from the Debian
archives."

My apologies if this isn't obvious to you.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |   When I die I want to go peacefully in
Debian GNU/Linux                |   my sleep like my ol' Grand Dad...not