Re: potato bugs

[debian-sparc subscribers, please disregard the X-No-CC header above]

[though since I'm a SPARC owner now, I should subscribe...]

> We now seem to have 2.2.16 boot-floppies for everyone, so the main thing
> we're waiting on is X (and a fix for xserver-xsun) which is causing
> problems because we don't actually know of a fix yet. :-/ In any event,
> a final X should be ready one way or another in the next day or two.
>
> So the above will probably be removed in a couple of days if not NMUed
> or MUed.

If any Xsun users would like to try to help tracking down this extremely
aggravating problem, please make sure you are upgraded to 3.3.6-9, and then
replace the /usr/X11R6/bin/Xsun binary on your system with the file from
the following URL:

<http://www.debian.org/~branden/Xsun>

There seems to be a problem at the Xsun/kernel-framebuffer layer.  I've
added a whole bunch of debugging messages ("ErrorF"'s in X server jargon)
to a couple of functions in xc/programs/Xserver/hw/sun/sunInit.c that seem
to be at the heart of the problem.

Please email the results to the debian-x list so we do not clutter the
other lists.  Be sure that the /dev/fb symlink exists before trying this
server binary.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    Somebody once asked me if I thought sex
Debian GNU/Linux                |    was dirty.  I said, "It is if you're