Problem with paths in gcc

Hello all:

I'm trying to package the WXWindows GUI library for Debian.  When compiling
it, I noticed the configure script didn't find a couple of libraries I
certainly had installed on my system.  Investigating the problem, I found that
they were not being detected by configure because they were under
/usr/X11R6/lib, and it seems my linker is not searching for libraries there.

I managed to modify the configure.in file, so that the configuration script is
now able to find the libraries.  However, I wonder if that's the correct fix,
or if I have to fix my instead.

Is it normal behavior for gcc not to look for libraries under /usr/lib/X11?

Thanks a lot,

M. S.
Martin A. Soto J.                           Profesor
Departamento de Ingenieria de Sistemas y Computacion
Universidad de los Andes      masoto@uniandes.edu.co