Re: Crypto signing of packages

> Bruce:
> > I'd be OK with accepting PGP-signed communication from a maintainer
> > regarding security matters, once that maintainer had been through
> > our certification procedure. Of course this relies on maintainers
> > not getting their keys compromised.
>
> I'm afraid that this is not a realistic requirement.  Maintainers keys
> _will_ be compromised.

I agree.

> We have either to live with the situation where anyone who can
> compromise any maintainer's key can get trojan code into our
> distribution, or we have to come up with a way of detecting and
> dealing with maintainer key compromise.

I don't even think maintainer key compromise is the most likely route of
trojans,  just as effective would be to compromise the maintainers machine,
modifying either the original source on which the maintainer depends on for
building the debian package or the patch to that source.  If the maintainer
has no effective method of detecting such actions the maintiner will happily
insert trojans into the distribution without the intruder having to know the
key or even care about the existence of the key. AFAIK there is not much
protection against this under the current system.  I suggested a couple of
months ago considering moving to a system in which the source packages are
able to play a greater role in the distribution (at the users options of
course), with updates being made via incremental patches (updated patches
against .orig files could also be patches).  Most people who replied at the
time thought it was either a bad idea or an idea which took a very low
priority, maybe with the recent focus peoples may be more receptive.  This way
if a user has what they consider a secure source tree on their own system ,
they can more easily vet what is happening during package updates (of course
if they don't care they can just use the binaries).  Apart from the security
benefits there are big bandwidth pluses also (anyone else get sick of
downloading 20meg just to change the name of the maintainer?).  I don't think
it would be *that* difficult to implement, the main problem at the moment is
that there is very little incentive to install from source as far as
assistance packages goes.

Richard Jones.