Re: An alternative to deb-make Re: deb-make

Galen Hazelwood <galenh@micron.net>:
> 3) Single-binary packages build in debian/tmp, and multi-binary
>    packages build in debian/tmp-foo, debian/tmp-bar, etc.  By keeping
>    this consistant between packages, we can make the behavior of other
>    tools smarter.

You can already do this of course, though it's not as much encouraged
as perhaps it ought to be.

> 4) dpkg-gencontrol be altered to reflect these changes; when called
>    without arguments in a single binary package, its behavior should
>    remain the same (build control file in debian/tmp/DEBIAN).  In multi-
>    binary packages, it should generate control files for each binary in
>    debian/tmp-[binaryname]/DEBIAN.  One call does it all.

Any changes to dpkg-gencontrol &c should be backward-compatible.
Perhaps a `-M<packagename>' option which means `this is a multi-binary
package, and I'm doing package <packagename>, and I want you to set
the default directories and files accordingly' ?

> 5) dpkg-shlibdeps actually dosen't need changing, really...it's current
>    behavior is probably correct.  I can't think of any "magical" way it
>    can determine what binary any given executable belongs to, so -d
>    should still be used.  Another possibility is creating different
>    shlibdeps files in subdirectories of debian, with a new command line
>    flag.  I don't see that as much of a gain, though.

I think we ought not to fiddle with this until it's better understood.

I don't think this has much to do with any future deb-make-a-like.

Ian.