Re: deb-make

Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> Packages using debmake have a `hidden interface' to debstd.  debstd's
> interface keeps changing.
>
> I think that having a special tool like debstd determine what to do at
> run-time is a bad thing; it leads to unpredictability and fragility.

While I see your point, I have to say that I think letting debmake
track things like the current policy on the compression of web pages
is simpler than having every maintainer change every rules file every
time the project changes its mind.  Once things like this are changed
in deb-make, then the changes can be propagated through all the
package with a simple re-running of the "rules" for each package.

Before I continue, I'd like to say that I do appreciate tremendously
your efforts on behalf of the project.  With that said...

> > > I think its design and programming interface are poor, and can only be
> > > fixed incompatibly.  I think its implementation is poor, and that this
> > > is best fixed by having it rewritten by someone else.
> >
> > Huh? The vote of no confidence? One thing I really enjoy about how
> > leaders in the Debian Project appreciate the work done by others.
>
> Are you saying that because you're a volunteer I have to like your
> design and code ?  I don't think that's a good argument.

No.  While I hate to speak for Christoph, I imagine that he's
objecting to your tone.  It sounds like you feel that just because he
did things in a way you didn't like in the first place, that he's
incapable of receiving constructive criticism and participating in any
improvement of the situation.  Many people are quite unhappy with
dselect's user interface, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't be
involved in its improvement.

I've had my own problems with Christoph's ideas in the past, but I'd
suggest that instead of just saying how poor things are, stick to the
facts.  Outline your problems with the package, then see how the
person responds.

i.e. "I don't like X, Y, and Z for reasons A, B, and C, and I think
that these things should be fixed in the following manner."

If you're right, people will agree, perhaps even including Christoph.
I think that it's hard for someone not to take something like "your
design, interface, and implementation are all poor, and I don't think
you're capable of fixing it" personally.

My $0.02
--
Rob