dselect, et. al.

[cc's trimmed - again.]

Rob Browning <osiris@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
>Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
[...]
>> > Huh? The vote of no confidence? One thing I really enjoy about how
>> > leaders in the Debian Project appreciate the work done by others.
>>
>> Are you saying that because you're a volunteer I have to like your
>> design and code ?  I don't think that's a good argument.
>
>No.  While I hate to speak for Christoph, I imagine that he's
>objecting to your tone.  It sounds like you feel that just because he
[...]

I have to agree here. Whilst I appreciate the comments Ian is making,
they really could be couched in a somewhat more diplomatic tone.

>improvement of the situation.  Many people are quite unhappy with
>dselect's user interface, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't be
>involved in its improvement.

This is where, I believe, I come in :-) I'm slowly making progress on
an alternative to the current dselect; it's certainly an educating
process. Even if it's not accepted in the end, I will be providing
documentation on some of the critical areas (such as the contents of
dpkg's lib/ directory - especially the database routines.) That, at
least, will make development of an alternative alternative a lot
easier.