Re: RFC: A method to use Admin tools, like linuxconf

Manoj Srivastava wrote ...

> 	This is a long post, and it took some time for me to write
>  this, please bear with me and read this through before unslinging the
>  flame thrower.
>
> >>"Shaya" == Shaya Potter <spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil> writes:
>
> Shaya> Pleae remember that this is my first stab at writing a document
> Shaya> like this, they don't teach skills like this in my high school,
> Shaya> so obviously I am lacking a little, any constructive criticism
> Shaya> will be appreceated for writing documents like this.

I fully agree with Manoj.

But, for me it isn't clear what configuration we are speaking about.
Do we mean the ``install time'' configuration or the ``user time''
configuration (read: the configuration done by the user to tune
the system to the personal needs)

All configuration information (install and user time) should be
managable every time without any special unusual tools, utilities, guis
or whatever.  IMHO an avarage user, comfortable with the stuff like
ls, ln, cp, mv, and $EDITOR should be able to
configure/tune/recover/troobleshoot/whatever the system.

Ok, I know, this would mean, that such a config tool, designed to ease
the config/setup/whatever, would have to parse all the places where
configuration information is stored (/etc/inittab, /etc/rc?.d, ... ,
/etc/apache/*).  It's possibly the hard way, but IMHO (again) the one
and only, iff we don't want to get in dependance of a single data base
utility ...

The better approach would be a well designed but simple interface and
standard for getting configuration information during (or better: at
begin/end of) the install process. Probably using ``dialog'' or better
yet a much more simple text interface.

Heiko