Re: Possible framework for `debmake replacement'

On Feb 21, Manoj Srivastava wrote
> >>"David" == David Engel <david@sw.ods.com> writes:
> David> No, no, no!  IMO, this is going in the wrong direction.  We
> David> need to make packages as easy as possible, even trivial, to
> David> initially build and maintain.  This just adds more frame work
> David> that a developer has to initially learn and maintain as policy
> David> changes.

> 	The next time you run you run  new-deb-std-like-program, it
>  just changes ./debian/Rules/*.dist. The dist files are used *if and
>  only if* no user modified non-dist files exist.

I don't understand why you want to complicate things by including
boilerplate that should be the same for all packages and then
requiring developers to manually update that boilerplate as the
packaging standards and policies evolve.  Developers should only be
required to supply information that is specific to the package.  If
you really must know exactly what is going on "behind the scenes",
then there are numerous ways that could be done, e.g. look at the
boilerplate yourself where ever the build utility stores it and/or
have the build utility support a "--no-action" mode.

> 	This is easy. This is simple. This does not need `` an
>  encompassing build utility''. (I really like the KISS
>  principle).

I guess we have differing definitions of simple.  What you are
proposing doesn't sound much simpler than what we currently have.  I
took another look at the package build side of RPM today, specifically
at the "specs" file.  Now, *that* is simple.  Before you say it, yes,
I realize that building a Debian package is more involved than
building a RedHat package due to our additional packaging features.
My point is that RPM's specs file is the level of simplicity that we
should be shooting for.

> David> My visiion of the rules file is that it should be
> David> strictly limited to the following, simple targets:
>
> 	Can we get back to the requirements process now?

Sure, but I'll have to send my requirements another time.  It's too
late and I want to go to bed now. :)

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road