Re: packaging HOWTO

On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Enrique Zanardi wrote:

> IMHO, if the tools to build packages are going to change soon, it would
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
These are famous last words!  Debmake is here now.  The replacement
doesn't exist.

> be better to wait until things settle down instead of showing people how
> to use a tool that is going to be abandoned.
> It wouldn't be good publicity to read complainings about how often we
> change our package building procedure.
> (Hey, we want those application developers out there to use deb format
> for their packages. We must not show them a moving target.)

Question:  Will the package format itself change significantly or just the
tools?  I.e. if in September I decide to use debmake it might not be so
elegant as the new tool but will the resulting .deb actually work?

-- Jaldhar