Re: policy clarification for source packages

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Susan G. Kleinmann wrote:

> > On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Susan G. Kleinmann wrote:
> > I had been under the impression that the idea of the source packages,
> > combined with the copyright statement, was to give a user a
> > road map showing him exactly how he can retrace the construction of
> > a Debian source from some specified public archive.
> > Any other approach leads, I think, to Debian's distribution of
> > a package effectively becoming an independent source tree, which I
> > had thought was an outcome to be avoided.
>
> Mike Neuffer wrote:
> > It should rather be just the other way around. The binary packages are
> > only secondary to the source packages, which must be able to compile in an
> > standard environment.
> > Once we have a PROPER source tree, we can simply compile the whole thing
> > and get all packages clean and compiled in one standard environment.
>
> I understand and appreciate the goal of obtaining a proper source tree.
> What I'm wishing for is that each package should internally document exactly
> where it was obtained, and what changes were necessary to evolve
> into the Debian source package.

Please take a close look at the source-tree of FreeBSD
The ports directory is EXACTLY that.

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/.16/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/ports-current

Mike

Michael Neuffer                i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net             Home of the Debian Master Server.
mike@debian.org                14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.641.8774                   Beaverton, OR 97005