Re: base-passwd 2.0 (?)

Santiago Vila Doncel wrote:

  Will we have base-passwd 2.0 in Debian 1.3?

  I would like to know this soon, because currently, SmartList
  Recommends
  base-passwd >= 2.0.0...

It's really starting to look like we won't.

Here's the story.  Because nobody else would, I volunteered to give the
new base-passwd
a go when Phillipe had to punt.  Unfortunately, I hadn't considered that
the core of the
new base-passwd was a perl script, a language I have only nominal
understanding of.
So I thought "no problem, I'll just get a copy of the camel book, or dig
up my old one."

Ha ha ha.  My old copy has vanished into oblivion, and I can't find a
copy _anywhere_,
whether to buy, lease, or borrow.  But even with my limited
understanding, I have already
come to the conclusion that I can't properly use the lckpwdf() call from
within a perl
script using perl-base, and perhaps not even with the full perl.  So if
I want this script to
automatically update passwd and group, I'll have to use the shadow tools
which Guy is
supposed to be packaging.  I need to have them *before* I can start
working on the script.

So unless nobody objects to the new base-passwd coming in _after_ the
freeze, it'll just have
to wait.  BTW, if it makes it into 1.3, the version number is going to
be 1.3.0.  2.0.0 will not
be released until Debian 2.0, by my understanding.  You might want to
change that
dependency.

--Galen