Re: Packaging HOWTO

Sorry, I was busy with something else and did not have time to reply....

On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Patrick J. Edwards wrote:
>
> > 	Actually I thought it was a really good start.  Unfortunately it
> > seems that debmake come hell or high water will be obsolete, and has never
> > been popular with some developers. I thought the begining was very good (the
> > section describing the packages required). But like Igor I believe the last
> > half should be expanded alot, and should be done written without debmake in
> > mind.
> >
> > On Sat, 22 Feb 1997, Igor Grubman wrote:
> > > I looked at it, and it seems a little too basic to me.  Ioannis (and
> > > others), could you look at the URL above, and see if that's the kind of
> > > thing that you wanted.  I wanted to write something a little more
> > > detailed.  I wanted to include such things as explanation of conffile
> > > handling, the maintainer scripts, how to build a package without debmake,
> > > etc.  Let me know if I need to do this.  Otherwise, I might want to write
> > > some of the docs Jaldhar mentioned in his other post.  It probably should
> > > be Christian's decision at the end, since he is the Policy Manager
>
> I just had a look at Jaldhar document. It seams to me as it gives a good
> "overview" about what has to be done to create a .deb with deb-make.
>
> So Igor, if you want to create a more detailed HOWTO, just go ahead! AFAIK
> the policy and the programmers manual contain some instructions on
> "how-to" create the packages. This info should probably moved to a such a
> manual, you want to write.

Yes, I am planning to do so.
> Perhaps you could post a table-of-contents when you know the contents.

Ok, here is what I am thinking of:  I want the whole HOWTO be based on
some hypothetical package, so that it would be like learning by example.
I plan to use some of the content from Jaldhar's document.  I do like his
approach and style.  Jaldhar, I hope you don't mind ....

As for the table of contents, here is my first attempt:

1. Introduction: explanation of  Debian's goals, free software, why the
howto was written, etc.
2. Getting the source and converting to debian source format (creating
debian dir and putting the necessary basic files there)
3. Rules file structure, and how to make it work with upstream makefile,
etc.
4. Conffile handling
5. Building a package
6. Menu file
7. Maintainer Scripts: I am not yet proficient at things like changing a
conffile from the maintainer script.  This section will probably be very
brief at the beginning, and maybe someone else would enhance it later
8. Library building.  Probably won't be included in the first draft, since
I didn't try to do this yet, but plan to in the future.
9. Init/update-rc.d.  Again, will not be covered in detail since I don't
know too much about this, but do want to explore, so the section will grow
with time.

I know, this looks kind of like Programmer's manual table of contents, but
I want to make it much shorter, and more readable.

This of course is very tentative and should be modified/expanded.  I
appreciate any comments.  Everything will be explained keeping debmake in
mind, that is I plan to have two methods for doing everything: with and
without debmake.  Be warned that this is my first attempt at writing a
howto, or just a computer-related document, so if it comes out just plain
terrible, we can always scrap it :-).

Suggestions?

> (Please start a new thread on debian-devel. This doesn't really belong on
> debian-private.)

Done.

> Thanks,
>
> Chris
>
> --                  Christian Schwarz
>                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@debian.org,
>                   schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de, bm955877@muenchen.org
>
>                 PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
>
>  CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
>  	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com

__
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman                                             igor@vaca.net