Re: porting machines

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:

> I don't think there are any Debian developers with a machine of that
> architecture.

After lurking on the debian-devel list for 2 years, I feel I should write
about this.

I am on the MkLinux team at Apple.

Our "distribution" has been pretty simple so far.  There's a gigantic tar
file on an HFS (Mac filesystem) CD that gets untarred into a freshly made
partition.  After this basic install, then there are ppc-rpm's that can
be added on.

There is nothing that I would like to see more than to have all the user
land stuff turned into debian packages.  We really would like to
concentrate on getting the kernel/server running on more Mac platforms,
and stop having to worry about keeping every package up to date.

There's a problem, though.  As I understand, it would probably take a very
"proactive" role from someone to make ppc-debian distribution (microkernel
style or otherwise).  The MkLinux team is very small.  We don't have the
manpower that it would take to move a project like that.  We barely have
enough to make forward progress on what we already have.  I doubt that simply
making a MkLinux machine available on the net would be enough.

However, if someone would like to lead a ppc debian effort, we'd love
to hear from you.
--
Gilbert Coville	    			gilbert@gc.org
					coville@apple.com