Re: Solved: Erk! Something is *really* wrong here!

At 06:22 PM 2/26/97 +0000, J.R.Goncalves@reading.ac.uk wrote:
>I don't think it is only a kernel problem. I've been using kernel 2.1.25
>for a long time now (over 20 days) and this problem was not present
>until a week ago. It happens only for tty?? and not for ttyp?? in
>my case. I suspect it was some package I upgraded (I'm using Bo)
>that made the problem to appear.
>
>I don't know why it works with 2.0.28 and not with 2.0.29 in your case.

I've rebooted the 2.0.29 kernel several times all with the same result (I
also deleted the wtmp and utmp files before rebooting).  Then it clicked I
was running 2.0.28, so I re-installed that image, ran lilo, rebooted and
now it's perfect.

Yes, it corrupts all TTY's - consoles, telnets and serial ports.  It can
only be the kernel because I changed absolutely nothing after a degraded
all the packages and still got those problems.  Hmmm, I wonder what the
differences in 28 and 29 are?

   Karl Ferguson,
   Tower Networking Pty Ltd                     karl@tower.net.au
   t/a STAR Online Services                      karl@debian.org