Re: Intention to re-write /usr/sbin/install-info

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:
> Hi,
> >>"Raja" == Raja R Harinath <harinath@cs.umn.edu> writes:
>
> Raja> Ben Gertzfield <che@imsa.edu> writes:
>
> Raja> Since you plan to rewrite `install-info', you may want to see if
> Raja> you can advertise the other interface too.  Or, maybe rename
> Raja> Debian's version to `dinstall-info'.
>
> 	No, please don't change the name. This would immediately break
>  all packages that install info files. If the two install-info
>  interfaces are not incompatible, then supporting both would be nice.

More info:

The GNU texinfo `install-info' has the following interface:

  $ install-info --version
  install-info (GNU texinfo) 3.11
  There is NO warranty.  You may redistribute this software
  under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
  For more information about these matters, see the files named COPYING.
  $ install-info --help
  install-info [OPTION]... [INFO-FILE [DIR-FILE]]
    Install INFO-FILE in the Info directory file DIR-FILE.

  --delete          Delete existing entries in INFO-FILE;
		      don't insert any new entries.
  --dir-file=NAME   Specify file name of Info directory file.
		      This is equivalent to using the DIR-FILE argument.
  --entry=TEXT      Insert TEXT as an Info directory entry.
		      TEXT should have the form of an Info menu item line
		      plus zero or more extra lines starting with whitespace.
		      If you specify more than one entry, they are all added.
		      If you don't specify any entries, they are determined
		      from information in the Info file itself.
  --help            Display this help and exit.
  --info-file=FILE  Specify Info file to install in the directory.
		      This is equivalent to using the INFO-FILE argument.
  --info-dir=DIR    Same as --dir-file=DIR/dir.
  --item=TEXT       Same as --entry TEXT.
		      An Info directory entry is actually a menu item.
  --quiet           Suppress warnings.
  --remove          Same as --delete.
  --section=SEC     Put this file's entries in section SEC of the directory.
		      If you specify more than one section, all the entries
		      are added in each of the sections.
		      If you don't specify any sections, they are determined
		      from information in the Info file itself.
  --version         Display version information and exit.

  Email bug reports to bug-texinfo@prep.ai.mit.edu.

Debian's `install-info' is like this:

  $ /usr/sbin/install-info --version
  Debian GNU/Linux install-info 1.4.0.19.  Copyright (C) 1994,1995
  Ian Jackson.  This is free software; see the GNU General Public Licence
  version 2 or later for copying conditions.  There is NO warranty.
  $ /usr/sbin/install-info --help
  usage: install-info [--version] [--help] [--debug] [--maxwidth=nnn]
	       [--section regexp title] [--infodir=xxx] [--align=nnn]
	       [--calign=nnn] [--quiet] [--menuentry=xxx] [--info-dir=xxx]
	       [--keep-old] [--description=xxx] [--test] [--remove] [--]
	       filename

Since Debian's `install-info' is in `/usr/sbin', it is less likely to
mistakenly used when normal users installing private copies (my original
complaint).  There could however be a problem for a sysadm trying to
install into `/usr/local'.

- Hari