Re: "Libc6 runtime kit" for bo

> On Fri, Oct 10, 1997 at 10:11:39AM -0300, Nicol_s Lichtmaier wrote:
> >
> >  Hamm will be released in 3/4 months (I hope), and so the Debian
>
> Why so long?  Can't we do better than this?

I think we should be able to do better than this.

I'm afraid I was (one of?) the first to come up with this "3 months"
estimate. The idea was: we are now about half-way converting the
distribution to libc6, and the first half took us 3 months (about).

So, without any other info, one might say: The next half will take
another 3 months. I realise that the first half should be the most
dificult one (most/all libs have now been done, they are the hardest),
but it could also be that last few packages are the ones that posted
problems nobody thought of before, and they _may_ be giving us trouble
too.

When giving estimates, I think there are 2 "kinds" of estimates:
one, that takes into account the possibility of a lot going wrong,
the sortof pessimistic estimate. Previous releases have shown that
these estimates are the most accurate :(. This is the one I'd give
to someone who has to deside what version of debian will go into the
space shuttle next april (assuming he wants to have a testing perioud
of at least 3 months). To him, I'd say: don't count on being able to
use hamm.

On the other hand, to the developpers, I guess we'd better have a rather
different estimate, otherwise they will never convert their apps
to libc6. How about planning the next "code freeze" for November 15?
That's one month from now, gives plenty of time for everybody
to convert everythign to libc6. I think the original plan has
November 1st as release date. I think that's quite a nice date to
stick to too.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj