Re: Help! Boot script doesn't run SOLVED!

On 97/10/13 at 23:15 PM +0200, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> In article <[🔎] 19971013170139.19808@cfw.com>,
> Victor Torrico <vtorrico@cfw.com> wrote:
> >I was installing the latest hamm/hamm sysvinit and also have file-rc
> >installed.
>
> Oh - oh ...
>
> >The /etc/init.d/boot script doesn't run.  None of the file systems are
> >mounted upon boot.  That is the / filesystem is mounted read only but it and
> >the other filesytems are never mounted writable.  What starts the /etc/init.d/boot
> >script?  /etc/runlevel.conf seems OK.  Runlevel 2 doesn't work correctly.
> >
> >I'm dead in the water now.
> >
> >Help sincerely appreciated.
>
> For everybody that has this problem, try the following:
>
> o Boot with the "-b" option on the LILO command line
> o At the shell prompt, enter "mount -n -o remount,rw /"
> o edit /etc/inittab
> ** Write down how the entry with /etc/init.d/boot looks now, I
>    really would like to know that!

The entry before changing the /etc/inittab file is:

     si::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS

I changed this to:

     si::sysinit:/etc/init.d/boot

Also the installation of sysvinit 0.72 had actually deleted the
/etc/init.d/boot file.  I copied /etc/init.d/boot.OLD to /etc/init.d/boot to
restore the file.  This and going from .../rcS to .../boot fixed the problem.

To test I reinstalled sysvinit 0.72 and the /etc/inittab entry went back to:

     si::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS

Also the /etc/init.d/boot file once again was deleted.

Thank you for your kindness in helping.

Regards,

Victor

--