Re: DNS lookups

miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)  wrote on 13.10.97 in <[🔎] 61sv3v$4ib$1@Q.cistron.nl>:

> In article <[🔎] 6fkyKL2mw-B@khms.westfalen.de>,
> Kai Henningsen <kaih@khms.westfalen.de> wrote:
> >Just saw this ...
> >
> >bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens)  wrote on 10.10.97 in
> ><m0xJjK8-00IdTXC@golem.pixar.com>:
> >> Did you try "order hosts,bind" in /etc/host.conf? If you have the right
> >> entries in /etc/hosts DNS should not be involed.
> >
> >I noticed that after one of my latest hamm upgrades, everything handling
> >IP addresses would start DNS lookups, which played havoc with my boot
> >sequence (stuff like diald not coming up after running for several hours
> >because ifconfig and route hang asking the name server, which waits for
> >diald to come up, and no login prompt ever appearing).
> >
> >I haven't tracked that down yet, but I suspect some change in libc6.
>
> I think the "order" statement is not used anymore by libc6. Check out
> /etc/nsswitch.conf.

That's not it; it says the same (go to /etc/hosts first), but that didn't
help me.

Actually, I'm wondering why it's trying to do lookups in the first place.
I'm pretty sure it didn't do that before, as I didn't have those hosts
either in /etc/hosts or in my local named, and it ran without a hitch.

I *suspect* that glibc, when asked to find an IP number in the string
"1.2.3.4", decides to ask for a DNS entry before giving back 0x01020304.
If this turns out to be true, I won't hesitate to call it a serious bug.
However, as I said above, I've yet to determine what exactly happens.

MfG Kai