Re: DNS lookups (was: something completely different on -private)

In article <[🔎] 6fkyKL2mw-B@khms.westfalen.de>,
Kai Henningsen <kaih@khms.westfalen.de> wrote:
>Just saw this ...
>
>bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens)  wrote on 10.10.97 in <m0xJjK8-00IdTXC@golem.pixar.com>:
>
>> Did you try "order hosts,bind" in /etc/host.conf? If you have the right
>> entries in /etc/hosts DNS should not be involed.
>
>I noticed that after one of my latest hamm upgrades, everything handling
>IP addresses would start DNS lookups, which played havoc with my boot
>sequence (stuff like diald not coming up after running for several hours
>because ifconfig and route hang asking the name server, which waits for
>diald to come up, and no login prompt ever appearing).
>
>I haven't tracked that down yet, but I suspect some change in libc6.

I think the "order" statement is not used anymore by libc6. Check out
/etc/nsswitch.conf.

Mike.
--
   Miquel van      | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
   Smoorenburg,    | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/